Minolta AF 24mm F2.8 A-mount lens review by hamzah

reviewer#2576 date: Jul-25-2007
compared to:Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX.
positive:Outstanding sharpness
Very compact
Wide aperture 2.8
Fairly priced.
negative:None.
comment:Minolta 24mm f/2.8 is simply one of the sharpest in the Maxxum line-up. Not sure why other people gave it 3-4.5 rating for its killer sharpness, I guess they are using APS-C 6MP or 10MP DSLR not a fair way to test the FF lens. I've used it on my Maxxum 5 for the first time with Fuji Reala 100 loaded and set the aperture to f/8 in the A mode and it was done. It is so fast on my Maxxum 5 that as soon as I turn it on its in focus. The lens is very sturdy and mine is rare crossed-X version bought new on ebay for only $225 with free shipping.

If you're shooting architecture and landscapes this is the lens for you. Also one of the best things about this lens is the flare control not even one shot I've taken got any sign of flare or halos, totally flare resistant. Very compact and solidly built and comes with 55mm filter thread just like the most Minolta lenses. I use the top quality B+W 55mm MRC Skylight 1A filter for protection. There is no vigneting at all unless you stack more than 2 filters.

I highly recommend to get this lens either used or new. Also don't judge the 4x6 prints for its sharpness, you have to blow up atleast 5x7 and up to view its sharpness. I'm simply blown away by its performance and I'm sure you'll also.