Minolta AF 24mm F2.8 A-mount lens review by madecov

reviewer#6128 date: Sep-27-2009
compared to:50mm f 1.7
Tamron 17-50
price paid:$219.00 USD (used)
positive:Small,light weight. Fast focus, Good color, good filter size, decent hood (compared to 50mm)
negative:None so far (will update)
comment:Nice light weight prime lens. Great when used at hyperfocal focusing (just set and forget. turns your camera into a point and shoot). Focal length is usable on cropped sensor. This lens is sharp when stopped down. when used for critical auto focus it's very fast. Colors match other Minolta lenses. In my initial testing I didn't have too much purple fringe. depth of field is very nice when stopped down. I have not tried any wide open shooting yet so for now I'm calling this lens very sharp. Filter size is reasonable and I did not notice any vignetting but wide open may be different.

Mine had the factory original pettle hood so I suppose the price was actually reasonable. If you find one get it.

Having read other reviews it seems many consider the factory hood a negative. I don't, having a proper hood that bayonets to the lens is a big plus in my book. The ability to reverse it for storage is a great feature. I think it soundly beats having to get a rubber screw on hood.