Minolta AF 24mm F2.8 A-mount lens review by ekan_singapore

reviewer#9225 date: Jul-10-2011
compared to:Sony SAL 18-250
price paid:250 USD (ebay)
positive:Everything
negative:Focus can hunt or fail occasionally for low contrast shots - not to the point of being a problem

The focus ring could have been a little larger.
comment:I picked a copy on Ebay and I am very happy I did. It gives sharp images right from wide open, even though the depth of field is small enough at f/2.8 to make it look not so, for some subjects. Colours are pleasing and accurate. Free of distortion, which is noticeable for my all-in-one zoom (18-250) at 24 mm, as expected. It also makes the skies slighly more blue (my personal feeling, not a precise measurement) than 18-250, which is a big plus for tropical (harsh sunlight) and often hazy/overcast Singapore. I believe this lens deserves more than 4.6 (current review score), so I give it 4.8. Built-wise, the lens is light, made out of good hard plastic except for the mount, which is metal - this is a positive. It is convenient to tote for long walks and can serve as walk-about glass nicely on APS-C bodies, @ 36 mm 35-mm equivalent. This lens has very slighly rounded shape and it looks cute even if a bit small on my A300. I shot with it under the scorching tropical noon sun without a hood and there was no flare to speak of. Autofocus is usually fast but it occasiobally hunts or fails to focus for some low-contrast subjects, which is a common issue for many lenses - not to the point of being a problem. Shooting at infinity focus with this glass is just great. Overall, an excellent performer for its price.