Minolta AF 28-100mm F3.5-5.6 D A-mount lens review by ithinkso

minolta 28-80 3.5-56
positive:light and compact
excellent with film
negative:nothing at all
comment:This lens came as a kit with the minolta dynax 5 I bought for my partner, which she uses mostly for monochrome (It was new at the time - I can't recall how much it cost but's it's still going strong - touch wood!!). She has some excellent enlargements from this lens. I've also used it with colour film on my Dynax 7 and I'm pretty impressed.

Of course I was curious to see how it performed on the A77. I spent a day using it in good sunlight, handheld and with the camera set to JPEG and with the camera's distortion and vignetting correction on. I guess this is the way to get the best from a kit lens. Others with more technical knowledge than mine can check it out with tripods and RAW if they feel like it!

Clearly this lens was designed in the film era with film i mind. It won't satisfy any pixel peepers. It's much harder to handhold and get good sharp images on digital, but when it works it is pretty good. I like the colour rendition. I suspect you'd have to spend a whole lot more money to get better results than you can achieve with this lens, given the price you're likely to pay for it today.

Edit/update: I didn't get my Sony A850 with this lens in mind. However, since it's available to use I checked it out. Vignetting is very prominent at 28mm/f3.5, still noticeable at f5.6 but gone by f8. It's pretty sharp at 100mm/f5.6. Minolta colours look good. The combination is considerably lighter than the A77/VC/16-50mm f2.8 and might get another run out for less demanding applications, like say, a family party.