Minolta AF 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 RS A-mount lens review by ckone

price paid:120 EUR (new)
positive:Build quality
Colours
negative:Not important ones
comment:In General: I really like the lens a lot, for the primary purpose as a travl lens when shooting outdoors.
As you can see in the comparative lenses, I am a low light photographer and most likely I use primes; when going abroad I really want a zoom and a low light prime and then I am happy.
First lens in my journey was a 24-50 which is fun, great and sometimes I miss it, as 24-50 was a nice coverage, BUT: I missed the longer zoom part; then I jumped onto three versions of the 24-105, where I finally didn't like the distorsion in the corners with all of them, the first disappointed me with build quiality, the second with flare issues and creep noise. Then I decided to try out the legendary 28-135 in two versions, where I always found the weight toooooooo heavy; also I was not a real fan of the focus ring position, as I usually have a finger at that position. Then I started looking over the Minolta fence, first tried a Sigma 28-70 EX DG, not once, four times and all rolls of film inicated focus point issues; I didn't like the Tamron feel in my hand but there was the new Sigma HSM 24-70; I tried that and AGAIN - focus seems to be an issue; asking the dealer, what the heck is wrong with Sigma, he said, knowing that curiosity he usually orders 4 Sigmas to have one pleasing for the customer; I went back, not willing to pay 1600 EUR for a Zeiss and got a 28-70 G from a fellow dyxum member from Norway and I am really really happy; having great sharpness with great colours I have a lens I use very often, but I don't want to take it to a vacation, where I go to Mauritius - Sand you know; therefore I looked around and found a RS version of the 28-105 which pleases me really well, not brilliant in contrast but still very good, very good sharpness results in the corners; the tulip hood prevents sufficiently the flare so this becomes my travel lens; on the wide end I have the 16 and the 20 primes, and then I'm all set.
Lovely feeling in the hand, much more solid than the 24-105; I would always recommend the 28-105 if you have a 20 prime for the low end and need it. This is a keeper - definitively.