Minolta AF 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 RS A-mount lens review by paso144

positive:Colours
Size & weight
MFD
negative:Sharpness wide open
comment:I'm constantly looking for an improvement in my line up and since the 28-135, which is my daily walk around lens has some draw-backs like the MFD and weight I decided to try the next best thing in the price range (seeing the reviews). Found this one at a second hand store and traded it against a 50mm and some cash so I could try it in my hollidays.

This lens is quite sharp although not on the same level wide open as the 28-135. Stopping down to F/8 brings the two on the same excellent sharpnes levels. The round blades give it a noticably better bokeh then the 28-135. Colours are great and typical Minolta. Far better then it's succesor the 24-105 which I found to produce flat and hard images.

Build is very good (I would have given it a 4.5 but it got the benefit of the doubt since this is not available). Zoom and focus rings move very accurate and are nicely damped. Weight and size were actually very good on my A700.

So compared to the 28-135 it's a trade off between sharpness wide open and size/weight and MFD. In the end I sold it since I tended to grab my 28-135 more often when it came down to those critical shots. I will look further for a suitable 'in door'zoom and might give the 28-70G a try when I find it for an acceptable price.