Minolta AF 28-105mm xi F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by dA100vor

reviewer#1888 date: Feb-24-2007
compared to:havent got anything else to compare to on this camera
price paid:265AUD (used)
positive:- Decently sharp at least past 5.6
- No zoom creep
- Definitely a portrait lens
negative:- Not so good in low light
- Manual focus is useless for anything moving
- focusing distance 0.5m
comment:(some background info) I didnt want to get the kit lens as I was told that my order for the tamron 17-50 will arrive around the same time that I expected the A100 body. Which it didnt so I found this lens for a ok price.

When I firstly tried the lens I found that it loves taking portrait shots. 9/10 portraits Ive taken came out perfect and for that Im glad I have this lens.

The lens itself seems to be of solid build, the zoom motor can be noisy and sometimes when zooming very slowly there are grinding noises! :/ Overall the powerzoom isnt that bad.

Manual zoom is ok, sometimes a bit too hard to get going from 28.
What Ive found is that the manual focus (which is on the same ring except once the ring is pulled back some 1/2 cm) is very slow to use and also can freeze the camera functions if left in manual focusing mode. eg. menu modes, or function mode rotating the dial or trying to select anything.

Overall its a decent portrait lens and the power zoom isnt such a bad thing either.