Minolta AF 28-105mm xi F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by Vidgamer

reviewer#4585 date: Dec-27-2008
compared to:Tamron 17-50
positive:Good color, sharp when stopped down a bit.
negative:Power zoom could be a plus or a minus.
comment:I wasn't too impressed until I made a point of stopping it down a bit. I think it has a pleasant look.

Bokeh is not too smooth, but I like the interesting look.

I did not do detailed comparison tests, just viewing photos subjectively. There seems to be plenty of detail, particularly stepped down (say, from f5.6 to f8), but for sheer image quality, I feel like I'm better off with the Tamron (which not only is more sharp, but at a faster aperture). I feel like I shouldn't like the 28-105xi, but it doesn't seem so bad. It's sharp enough to see individual hairs and eyelashes, so I don't know what I'd need with more sharpness.

Today, I took a number of photos at f6.3, and am pleased. Looks good even at the edges at 105mm.

On a budget, not only could you do a lot worse, I submit you could not do better for $19.

[update] The lens is worse at 28mm, but I'm pretty happy with it at the longer focal lengths. At f8, I've gotten really pleasant results (if imperfect), even at wider angles. As they say, a lot of cheap lenses look good at f8....