Minolta AF 28-135mm F4-4.5 A-mount lens review by Paul07

positive:Build qualitiy
Sharpness center to edge
Minolta colours
Nice long range
negative:Prone to flare and no dedicated hood
Rather long minimal focus distance
Very heavy
comment:I got really interested in the lens after reading a review at www.artaphot.ch (see links page for this lens), comparing this 28-135 with a few G- and CZ-lenses.

I must say I can only confirm the very positive results as reflected in above review.

I does not have an f/1.4 or 2.8 available, but it does perform extremely well when used wide open througout the range. Never needs to be stopped down to provide nicely sharp images, and always giving the known Minolta colours.
Also, build quality is superior to the newer 28-75, 24-105, 16-105 and 18-250. Hardly anything but metal and glass has been used.

On the downside, and as obvious consequence of the above, the lens is heavier and less compact than the more recent "standard allrounds"... In addition, the minimal focus distance is long, contrast is low and there is a high risk of flare.

Its range suits me very well. I was used to having the 28-75 as standard zoom, and the additional 75-135 range is very usefull. I personally prefer that over a 16-80 alternative.

This type of lens obviously was known very well by Minolta users and it seems a lot of copies have been used extensively. It also took me two tries to get a good copy.

In meantime, I have replaced this one by a Tamron 24-135 for use on my a900