Minolta AF 28-135mm F4-4.5 A-mount lens review by TxllxT

reviewer#6170 date: Oct-3-2009
compared to:none
price paid:525 NGL
positive:Very reliable overall wide-zoom-macro, quickly sharp, fine color, renders stunningly back the live atmosphere in which a photo was taken.
negative:Some flare
comment:Twenty years ago I bought this lens secondhand for half the new price (525 guilders = about 240 EURO) from my student allowance. Ever since it remained my steady life-companion, being joined with two Minolta filmcamerabodies, the Sony a100 and since a few days the Sony a900. I may confess here, it is this lens that has made a photography-enthusiast out of me. In my studentdays I acquired the AF 28-135 with hardly any backgroundknowledge, just following the judgment of my own eyes (& the available money in my pocket). I wanted to have once and for all an allround zoomlens of high quality. (- I'm delighted to read the confirmations of this in this forum -). Well, this wish for sure has come true. With my a900 I'm entering complete new fields of photography (having switched from JPG to cRAW), but with each picture taken the real credits go to the Minolta AF 28-135. Reading all the complaints about heavy weight etc., I can only comment that I've never known otherwise. When I get a DSLR from friends in my hands, it's the lack of weight that begins to bother me... Probably I am the second owner of this lens, carrying it through Europe on countless travels. With the a900 the wonderful days of wideviewing Full Frame will be coming back. Just cannot wait to go out on holiday again!
At the beginning of 2010 I added a Hoya HD Filter CIR-PL 72 in front of the lens: much better contrast and much less flare&glare. With this unscratchable, undustable & unbreakable pola filter you can jump 25 years ahead in one leap. Before I tried out a rubber hood, which caused vignetting...