Minolta AF 28-135mm F4-4.5 A-mount lens review by Shootist

reviewer#6746 date: Jan-15-2010
compared to:I think I've owned ALL (then perhaps sold some) of the Minolta Consumer lenses by now!
price paid:$270
positive:Well, I guess it's solid...and also it sold for more than I bought it for! yea!
negative:Price
Not as sharp as 35-105 older version
Over-hyped
comment:I’ll probably be accused of trying to bring the *incredible* prices these lenses are getting these days DOWN by saying this but: what IS the big deal about this lens guys?!

I found it heavy, not so sharp, and the zoom creep nearly broke my lens mount!

Truth is, this lens was about 25th out of perhaps 40 Minolta lenses that I went through as I built my collection last spring and summer (2009)

And what a fun build is WAS! As many of you now know; Minolta consumer lenses are WAY undervalued and if you’re like me – you never really loose any money buying them. I sold 90% of the ones I bought for more money….

I WANTED to like this lens but it failed all my tests shooting on a tripod at f5.6 and 250 shutter on a new Alpha 350,with IS off

Now, maybe it was unfair to test it versus the 35-105 1985 old version but – THAT was the lens I was thinking this one could REPLACE in my bag…. Heck based on your combined reviews HERE I thought I was going to be replacing my 3 (20,24,28) Wide angle primes and my 2.8 135 prime too! Shoo wee!

It wasn’t to be, and now someone else has the copy of this lens that I tested…and yes I got the BIG money you all are paying…made a few bucks on it. I guess that’s my main positive – it made me $45…

Could have been a bad copy but I don’t think so…it was ok, not ugly, just not in a league with the lenses above.

!!!2/2/2010 Update!!!

WOW….wow. Wow.

I just got my next copy of this lens.

It’s totally unmolested unlike the last one; nice tight zoom -and- NO FUGGING ZOOM CREAP - it’s sitting on my desk right now, upright, fully extended, and just waiting for me to put it back to 35mm or whatever! Plus, this one is nice to look at.

This one still had it’s *virgin* filter on the front (a Tiffen 812, no less!) and I almost hated to ‘break it’s cherry’ when I took that light stealing artifact off it for the first time since 1986....but, it was REAL good ; ) I almost thought there was water floating on the front element...literally perfect ; )

What about SHARPNESS?! All that you need to know is that it had identical center sharpness and some SHARPER corners than my Minolta f1.4 50mm prime at f4.5 in very scientific testing!!!! But….oh please…don‘t drive up the prices…sigh.

My only very weak gripe is the rear focus...we've been conditioned all our lives to brace our cameras by holding the rear of the lens for stability (and lower shake/shutter speeds) and....someone at Minolta back in the day decided to CHANGE that?! It's all good ; 0

I’ve changed my scores….