Minolta AF 28-70mm F2.8 G A-mount lens review by pipesmoker

price paid:260,-ā‚¬ mint
positive:sharp wide open
amazing over all IQ
well balanced on A900
good size and weight for a lens of this class
negative:flare, flare, flare
comment:Back in the early 90th I had the chance to borrow this lens for some days and I fall in love to it the first time but as a student on university at these days it was simply out of range for me.

Later on I got the Minolta 28- 135 and the Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70 2.6-2.8 and was quite happy with but never really forgot about the ā€žGā€œ.

As usually it pays off to be patient. For some years I was looking to get a good copy for a reasonable price, so I couldn't resist when I had the chance to get a mint one for a bargain.

I was putting some intention on to compare the 28-70 2.8 G to the lenses listed above. Comparing at least my copies for the sharpness, for ergonomics and for over- all IQ, the Minolta 28-70 2.8 G is clearly the winner. By my experience with this lens I think most of the complains from other people about sharpness are mostly coming rather from flare ore wrong focus.
In fact, the lens is not a easy one to handle at all. I never had an other one that is so prone to flare.

On the other hand, putting up some intention to avoid flare, this lens can produce incredible pictures. It loves flash and studio light.

For me it is an amazing lens but it is challenging my skills every time.