Minolta AF 28-70mm F2.8 G A-mount lens review by W&7D

reviewer#3321 date: Mar-1-2008
compared to:my other stuff
price paid:699 Euros (new)
positive:Beautiful colours.
Subtle creamy bokeh.
Build to last.
F2.8 over entire zoom range.
Circular aperture.
negative:Heavy. Zoom range not that handy with crop-factor.
Slow and noisy AF with the 7D
Difficult lens.
Little hood i never use.
comment:This was one of the first G lenses I collected. The crop factor of the 7D and the weight, made this one not my everyday walkabout lens. The 17-35mm is way more convenient for that.
The 28-70mm ,imho, is a bit difficult. And supposedly less sharp than the new CZ SSM version. But, reading the other reviews they are very positive indeed, and nobody complains about any 'unsharpeness'.
Maybe Michael Hohner can test them both? ;-)
My photos with this lens are sometimes bit soft , which I found out, has everything to do with the subject/background contrast and the low lighting. With normal or heavy (sun) light, the results are stunning! The softness is there perhaps @f2.8, but it really gets a lot better from f3.5 and up. Maybe in their wisdom the Minolta engineers designed it as a portrait lens pur sang?
ps. yesterday I used this lens for snapshots and the results are VERY good indeed! Made me realise how under-appreciated this lens in fact is. Snapshots are sharp and contrasty!