Minolta AF 28-70mm F2.8 G A-mount lens review by JulienHG

price paid:800.- CHF
positive:Very nice colour rendering
G style in 2.8!
Very sharp
negative:28mm is not very wide on crop 1.5x (A700)
Heavy
A bit slow in low light
comment:I've purchased this lens as second hand a few months ago, for just 800.-CHF (around 800USD). This is the lens I was missing for covering wedding, candid portraits and studio. I was quite happy finding it, since it's pretty rare to fall on any G lens second hand at the moment, within a decent budget. Best of it was that the lens was in mint condition, claimed to be never used (owned previously by someone who was passionate about collecting great lenses!)

I've already used the lens on many occasions (2 weddings, studio, outdoor portraits, trip), and I must admit I'm quite impressed. The colour rendering is really great, giving the traditional G look which you can't get with any other low range lenses. The ability to shoot at 2.8 is fantastic, giving very shallow depth of field effect. The sharpness is very very nice, however not as much as the 80-200 2.8 G, which for me is the sharpest ever!

One of the concern I have on the A700 is that 28mm is not necessarily very wide, and you can find yourself a bit too short on the wide end. 24mm could be better, but I'm more talking about the 20 (however, you'd need to make other sacrifice to get that, either weight or quality).

Recently, a screw was free within the zoom barrel, so I had to send it to Sony for repair... still waiting an answer from them, hopefuly it's easy to repair.

Otherwise, I can't wait to get it back repaired, because it gives fantastic portraits, with great proportion at 70mm, and very nice warm colours, while keeping a great exposition on the A700 (very low proportion to highlights).

In few words: if you can find one, you must own it! The Great Minolta G Style, just perfect!

Julien