Minolta AF 28-70mm F2.8 G A-mount lens review by NetQwik

reviewer#4410 date: Nov-20-2008
compared to:The only KM/Sony lens you can compare this to is the 24-70CZ. I haven't tested one but I can't decide if it's worth the price difference.
positive:Bokeh
Sharpness
negative:AF is sometimes slow.
comment:I wasn't going to review this lens because so many others already have but after comparing reviews between this lens and the 24-70CZ, I 've decided to stick with this and avoid the expense of the Zeiss. The 28-70G does exactly what it was designed for. I have the 17-35G also so range at the bottom end is not a big problem. I was considering the Zeiss for flash use solely because of the ADI but I do most of my indoor shooting without a flash anyway so have decided to avoid the expense.

Everybody talks about the slow AF which is why I'm pitching in my two cents. It could be faster but every Sunday I shoot my kid's hockey game. Now that's a pretty fast moving subject. He play's inline hockey and the games are indoors. The arena lighting is not great. Sometimes the AF is not fast enough and I get a blurry shot. It only happens when the last shot was long and the next one is short or the other way around. It can get confused with low-contrast backgrounds as well. I think most of the complaints come from APS-C users. When I upgraded from a700 to a900 the power of the a900 AF motor greatly improved the AF performance. After reading what others said about the 24-70CZ bokeh, I think I'm going to stick with this lens. It's the one that stays on my camera all the time. I won't talk about weight. Quality glass = weight. I'm not a proponent of "new, lightweight composite construction" on camera equipment, firearms or any other expensive items. That's marketing department double-talk for PLASTIC! Although it's probably a good lens, I think the price difference makes the Zeiss not worth it. If it's twice the price, it should be twice as good and I have yet to hear anyone say that!