Minolta AF 28-70mm F2.8 G A-mount lens review by leohendriks

reviewer#9534 date: Oct-27-2011
compared to:Mi 24-85 / 3.5-4.5 RS
KM 28-75 / 2.8
Tamron 24-135 /
price paid:475 euro (used)
positive:- sharpness
- colour
- microcontrast.
negative:- focus speed.
- the hood
- mfd
comment:After reading all the positive reviews I decided to go for it myself.
I found a pretty cheap copy.
First I took the time to properly do micro adjust on my 850.
(see other reviewers).
Then I did a comparison with the lenses mentioned (that I had in my possesion).
When shooting raw the G is the winner when it comes to sharpness (image wide any length). Microcontrast of this lens is oustanding and compensates for any loss of sharpness (if there is any). Colour is very pleasing. I can not but agree with others that the images have something 3-dimensional (I find the statement somewhat silly but nevertheless).
Colour is good. Less yellow then my KM 28-75. I would say on par with my 24-85RS and Tamron 24-135. Shooting in whatever light gives nice colours. Mind you: faulty whitebalance can mess up (as with any lens). So the magical Minolta colour is not my cup of tea: postprocessing can do a lot IMHO.
Artaphot mentions and shows some softness. Possibly related with highlight shots? I find my copy sharper then any 'compared to' lenses. That is a big plus for me.
The hood is a laugh. I had a hood from my 'deceased' Sigma 17-70 that, with some minor filing, fits (YES!) and does a more then decent job (GREAT!).

When shooting jpg's from the camera (A850 latest SW version) the above mentioned sharpness differences are negligible, hardly visible (except in some very low contrast areas).

Weight is not an issue for me.
KM28-75 and Tamron 24-135 are lighter but not by much. Camera plus lens is some 300 grs heavier with the G (~1,6 kg against ~1,3 kg).

MFD requires attention.

All in all I am very happy with this lens.