Minolta AF 28-85mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by Miranda F

lovely to handle
FF capable
negative:My copy not sharp
disappointing macro
colours not as good as Sony
comment:I bought this lens partly to try out one of the Minolta classics and partly to use the dedicated macro setting in nature photography, but I'm too disappointed to keep it. The macro setting (manual only) occurs only at 28mm meaning that you end up shading the light from the subject while using it, and quite apart from the lack of sharpness (possibly my copy only) the colours are disappointing too compared with other lenses.

On FF my 28-100 is sharper and has better colours, and can be used for reasonable close-ups at all focal lengths. It's also lighter and wider in range.
If you want macro, the Minolta 35-70mm is far better - macro is at 70mm and gives better magnification, and it seems to work well with a Kenko 2x TC in macro too.

On the A58 crop-sensor, the 18-55 SAM II leaves it for dead everywhere - sharper, better colours, and far better for close-ups of flowers and insects.

I wanted to like this Minolta lens but in the end I couldn't. Maybe I'll try another copy some time, but for nature photography I'll stick to the Sony lens.