Minolta AF 28-85mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by 12AMS

reviewer#8744 date: Mar-6-2011
compared to:Sony SAL 18-55mm SAM
Minolta 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5
price paid:$65 CDN (used)
positive:Excellent build
Beautiful colors
Great on a film camera
negative:Poor sharpness
Lateral CA
comment:I got this lens when I used film exclusively, and it was amazing on the 7000i. In fact, it was my favorite lens. Unfortunately, this opinion did not carry over to digital.

Although the build is typical original Minolta (think of a battleship made by Swiss watch-makers; tough and precise), and the rendition of skin colors are sublime, the almost blurred images that my copy gave me on digital made me want to rub my eyes every time I looked at a picture for any length of time. Also, even though it had absolutely no longitudinal CA, the lateral CA drove me nuts. I could often see it in a full-screen image; forget pixel peeping. And lateral CA does not go away when you stop down.

My copy of the Sony 18-55mm is quite sharp with absolutely no CA, and my copy of the original Minolta 35-105mm is simply outstanding, so I'm going to thank this lens for all the great memories it has provided on film and let this little bit of history go.