Minolta AF 28mm F2 A-mount lens review by Phil Wood

reviewer#44542 date: Jul-2-2020
compared to:Minolta AF 28mm f2.8
Minolta AF 24mm f2.8
Minolta AF 35mm f2
positive:Sharp, fast, small, light, classic style.
negative:Very soft corners wide open.
28mm
comment:This lens has reminded me that I am not comfortable with 28mm. I don't know why this is, but give me 24 or 35mm any day.
Ignoring this the lens performs well, stop it down a bit and you'll get a good sharp image, far sharper than the f2.8, on a par with the 24mm, perhaps a bit better, but not up to the standard of the excellent 35mm f2.
The soft corners wide open are rarely a problem in photos, after all you shoot wide open for the OOF effect around the (usually) central subject and the centre is sharp. However, it does irritate me to see it in the viewfinder of my A99ii all the time - yes, it's that obvious. Makes me want a menu function to select viewing aperture!
Otherwise its build, colours etc will be familiar to anyone who has used a first generation Minolta primes - you have to look closely to tell the difference between this, the 28/2.8 and the 24/2.8. One other big improvement over the f2.8 is the provision of a proper lens hood (bayonet fixing) which it shares with the 24mm.
I will persevere and try to get comfortable with this FL and lens, I really think it deserves it.