Minolta AF 28mm F2.8 A-mount lens review by TwoDave

reviewer#44373 date: Sep-20-2019
compared to:Minolta AF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5
Minolta AF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 (1994 Release)
Sigma 24-50mm f/4-5.6 UC
SonyZeiss 24-70mm f/2.8 (2008 Release)
price paid:$20.00
positive:Light/Compact
Semi-fast
Acceptable IQ
$20.00 USD
negative:Unimpressively sharp
Soft corners until stopped down considerably
comment:It outperforms the Sigma 24-50mm UC in contrast, color and is marginally sharper. With wide open shooting being the exception, the above mentioned Minolta's might be a little better overall, while the SonyZeiss is flat out superior.

I like this small semi-fast lens for street photography on a film body when I feel like getting cozy with the public.
I'll give it a go sometime when packing light for a vigorous landscape op, but don't expect the corners to clear until f/16, which is fine since I tend to get low down and to the ground f/16-22 with wide angle landscapes.

If I stick around for wide open starynight shooting, I won't expect SonyZeiss IQ but light weight at the end of a long day does have merit, I mean there have been many times after dark when I wanted to cache my entire outfit in the bushes, extract the memory cards or film and come back later with more energy.

This 28mm is only the 2nd Minolta AF lens I've ever had with oily aperture blades, yet it's not too troublesome to disassemble and reassemble