Minolta AF 28mm F2.8 A-mount lens review by transiently

reviewer#45713 date: Jun-2-2021
compared to:It's about the same as the much more expensive 28/2 pro lens I used for a short time around 1990, and very little worse than the 24/2.8 which used to be fairly respected. It looks as if it performs almost as well as my first series 35-105...but this isn't exactly incredible for a prime.
price paid:it was almost free
positive:Images have a nice look to them, with pleasant out of focus areas. It's easy to carry and use. Centre sharpness is good right from maximum aperture
negative:Stop down to 5.6 or so if you have interesting things at the sides and don't think too much about the corners.
comment:I have used this in its manual focus form on film, and on micro 4/3. The latter definitely shows that its overall sharpness doesn't stand much scrutiny, since M 4/3 is magnifying the image quite a lot, but it's not looking terrible on APS-C and was always fairly good on film, so I'd guess would be at least reasonable on full frame digital at, say, 24 MP.

I took my A37 camera out of retirement to test it and quite liked it.