Minolta AF 300mm F2.8 APO A-mount lens review by pbcbob

reviewer#38879 date: Jun-7-2017
compared to:Tamron 150-600, Sony 70-400, Minolta 400mm F4.5.
price paid:100 USD at yard sale
positive:Built like a tank. Very heavy but balances nicely. Extremely sharp after micro adjusting. I believe mine is -8. Pinpoint sharp even at F2.8 if you are careful and MA properly. Extremely high percent of keepers. This lens focuses plenty fast. Still extremely sharp with Minolta 1.4 TC.
negative:Very noticeable PF when photographing subject against a bright blue sky.
comment:300mm is not always the exact lens for the shot at hand but this is probably my favorite overall lens. The lens just feels good in my hands and the sharpness is phenomenal. Add to this classic Minolta colors and how can you lose? This lens focuses plenty fast. I have used the newer HS version and really see no difference though I am sure it is 2% faster!
Highly recommended if you can spend $1000 to 1500. Only lens I ever got super cheap and with the seller's blessings.
Unless the focus hold button means a lot to you, I feel this lens is a better deal than the newer version.