Minolta AF 300mm F4 HS APO G A-mount lens review by seagr112

reviewer#2613 date: Aug-8-2007
compared to:100-300 APO D
positive:Outstanding optical performance.
Beautiful build and finish.
Attention to detail (focus hold, limiter, focus ring cover etc.)
negative:It's a big lens.
Hood is a little clumsy to attach.
Drop-in filters impossible to find.
comment:My first G lens and it's a beauty. I'd been obsessed with finding a good 300mm lens that is fast and sharp since a trip to South Africa (safari!) a few years ago. Now that I've finally got it, I'll have to go back! It's a bit of a niche lens - not something you'll use every day, but when you need the reach for wildlife or distant subjects, it is perfect.

Previously, I had the 100-300mm APO D, which was a good lens for it's price but I found it didn't do well on overcast days or in low light. This lens, in an entirely different (and much more expensive) class delivers a much finer image both in sharpness and in bokeh.

It also brings new challenges to the table with it's size and focal length, and the fact that I try more challenging photography with it. (Time to go Orca watching again with this one and see how it performs.) It's nice that I have the option to use it handheld with some care, or attach a monopod to the tripod mount.

If your pocketbook can handle it, and you need (or just 'want':) a near perfect 300mm that you can take with you, this is the ideal lens in my opinion. It's a big improvement over the zooms that cover 300mm, and while it's a bit of a grunt as it is certainly not a small lens, (the f2.8 would be much too heavy to carry everywhere while traveling, and it's even more expensive than the f4) I am more than willing to carry it!