Minolta AF 300mm F4 HS APO G A-mount lens review by geardown

Focus Limiter
Relatively lightweight compared to Tamron
negative:Chromatic Aberration
Lens Hood
comment:This is an easy lens to fall in love with. It is razor sharp wide open, and the focusing is fast enough to get sharp birds in flight, even on cloudy winter's mornings. Images are crisp enough to be used at 100% crop - essential when shooting small and shy birds.

The focus limiter significantly increases the shot count for birds in flight and other fast moving small object.

The only downsides are fairly pronounced chromatic aberration and an awkward detachable lens hood. But I can live with those two things for the sharpness and focussing improvements.

I can't see myself ever selling this lens.

UPDATE:

After 18 months with this lens, I am still in love with it. I have a 1.4 Minolta APO teleconverter with it now, which makes this a truly great birder lens. There is no noticeable dropoff in image quality with the TC at all. I constantly get favourable comments about how sharp my images are, even with 50% or more cropping. I think I will have this lens buried with me when I go.