Minolta AF 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 N A-mount lens review by kerplunk

reviewer#10346 date: Jul-1-2012
compared to:Minolta AF 35-105 f3.5-4.5 (1st)
Minolta AF 35-70 f4
Minolta AF 28-105 RS
Tamron 28-200 (A031)

positive:size and weight
negative:Image quality.
Sharpness
Color
comment:I bought this expecting slightly less quality that the older version in a much more convenient size, and was let down, and was not disappointed by the size.

When I first got it, I liked the size and build, put it on my camera and went for a walk. When I got home and started reviewing, I was a bit puzzled with what went wrong with all the pictures looking a bit flat, with no real sharpness. I pretty quickly summed it up to this lens, and figured I must have gotten a bad copy. So I got a second one and tried it, same results.

It was a cloudy day, and I didn't notice any flare, but I'm assuming it will have inherited this quality from it's older version (which is pretty bad), and gave it a 3. Neither of the version I got came with a hood, but it has the same clip on mount so I'll assume the original hood was similar.

If I want something this small and light to carry around, I'll take the 35-70 f4, the missing 70-105 range can be cropped in with better results.

The quality of this lens is far from the original version in my opinion. I think it's more comparable with my Tamron 28-200 super zoom (that is also pretty bad).