Minolta AF 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 N A-mount lens review by jenik.nk

color
size
range
negative:sharpness wide open
comment:I was a quite disappointed with this lens. I wanted to buy the O version, but I could not find any, so I bought the N version for a good price. I was disappointed by sharpness. It took me some time to find out that sharpness can be very good or excellent if you stop down to 6.3 or higher. At higher f-values this lens produces wondeful images with beautiful Minolta colors.

Its size is great, I liked it for travelling. Build is OK for me, no problem. I haven't noticed any distortion, no problems with flare, but I don't think I have ever shot against the sun with it.

IMHO there is no point comparing its quality to the O version. Maybe we should not use the word "version", because the lenses are different, they are not versions. 35-105 O produces much better shots (sharpness, contrast), but is bigger, has much worse MFD (1500 vs 850 mm), is more expensive and a bit rare.

Finally I was satisfied and liked it, but I realized that when I want to go light, I usually choose 35-70/4 (or even 50/1.4), which is smaller, has fixed f4 aperture and can be used at f4 all the time, so it's finally much brighter. So I sold it, I had four lenses in similar range. Now I have also the fantastic 35-105 O, which has a different use.