Minolta AF 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 N A-mount lens review by shadowgunner

Lightweight
Inexpensive
Readily available
smooth & quiet AF
negative:Not as sharp as Original version
no macro switch
comment:Bought this with a 7000i. I knew it wasn't the original, but like other reviewers have stated, the original is sometimes hard to find. Most reviews seemed positive, so I gave it a try. Overall it's not a bad lens, just not exceptional. It is probably well above some of the other Minolta kit lenses of its' era (e.g 28-80, 80-200). I use it as a lightweight walk around lens with acceptable range. It is not as heavy as the beercan series, but it feels robust in construction.It's a pretty good hiking lens, due to it's weight and range. I use it on an A300 and A700.

When I wish to take better shots, it stays in the bag and I use my 28-85. The colors lack character, and sharpness= meh, not so much. I would recommend it, just don't expect images comparable to the Min 35-105 original.

update to my review:

I was never happy with this lens; actually considered just selling it.Then I bought an A6000; things changed. I have been using this lens via a simple A to E adapter in manual focus mode for 1.5 years now. I have estimated the aperture at f8. I find that for my product photography with this combo (Cam+lens) the images are very good and the sharpness has improved. I bought the LA-EA3 and the results are still excellent and the adapter gives me aperture control. I have to conclude the vast improvement is due to the A6000; but I will be keeping this lens. It provides consistent results for my clients' products.