Minolta AF 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 N A-mount lens review by MedsRX

reviewer#9463 date: Oct-1-2011
compared to:Sony SAM 18-55 3.5-5.6 kit
positive:Decently sharp. Light. Tough. Great Color. fun range. Nice-ish Bokeh
negative:Can get soft in MANY situations. Flare Monster. CA and PF is strong.
comment:I am starting a collection of 2nd+ gen MIN glass. I want to see how far i can push them and what can happen if you are on a SERIOUS budget!
This was a decent start. I found it has the potential for some RAZOR sharpness, the colors are stunning and really awe-inspiring to your clients and friends. Part of my "post-beercan era" collection is the search for quality lightweight yet sturdy budget glass and this fits NICELY in that category. It's plastic but you get the distinct impression that it can handle it's own.
I will say that in comparison to the sony SAM 1855 it can be a wee bit softer. and it hits that softness in more situations than the 1855 might. it is certainly no macro, but that much can be ascertained from any listing like mhoner or what have you.
it's not the creamiest bokeh ever but i think that can be over-done. however the bokeh is pleasant to look at even to the "cream-cheese" set. lol
One thing: it flares plus has some CA and PF popping out in any semi-harsh setting. doesn't bother me that much as i expected that from this era of coatings. it does tend to hunt like Elmer Fudd in low-light, yet i have had some great captures in these situations. Still a VERY useful & fun lens. I have the 35-70N coming soon and i look forward to a comparison.
for video: no zooming, too jerky. but it's lovely to view motion images made with it. i think it pairs nicely to my a33. It may not be in my "always" bag but it will be used.
-MedsRX