Minolta AF 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by karaatanasov

compared to:- kit Minolta 18-70
- Tamron 17-50 f2.8
- Minolta 50 f1.7
- Sigma 70-300 Macro Super II
price paid:90 Euro (used)
positive:- Very sharp
- Very fast AF
- Excellent build
- Heavy
negative:- Colors seem slightly different from kit lens(green looks brownish)
- Heavy
- Auto focus does not work in Macro
- Minimum focus distance of 1.5 meters
comment:I love this lens.

I got it today and am extremely happy. It is superb in every way. Only problem is that it is heavy and may not be pleasant to carry along.

I took about 15 portraits all superbly sharp. Outdoor it makes excellent very sharp photos too. It proves that Pictures can look very well/sharp even stretched to 100% on the monitor. In my opinion result on min aperture are quite sharp too, perhaps just an idea softer then f8.

The lens feels very well on the camera. Very solid very nice to handle. No plastic what so ever. Unfortunately this has bad impact when you walk around as the lens is much heavier then the kit lens. Manual focus is very nice and easy with this lens compared to kit (In this aspect my Sigma is even better though).

In macro mode the AF does not work. As well minimum focus distance is quite big. Not big issues, but need to be clear if one thinks of buying the lens.

I used my 5D with the lens.

Update: I used on A300 & A700 and the lens is a good performer there as well, I think it beats the Tamron 17-50 sharpness and is only slightly softer then 50 f1.7, or Tamron 90/2.8 Di Macro