Minolta AF 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by Funkateer

Focus speed
f/4.5 at max zoom
negative:Min. focus distance
Flare
comment:I've bought this lens along with 1.7 to complement the kit lens that came along with Sony a58 and to try out the famous Minoltas. For the price paid and compared with the kit lens, from my amateur point of view, all i can say is - I am impressed. Very. I will skip the known facts that other reviewers have already vividly explained ant try to concentrate on some of my own experiences.

Paired with the a58 the pics i get are prime like quality,and with that taken into consideration the reach is incredible. Like having a 35, 50, and other primes along with everything in betweeen. Works great even in sunsets, as it doesnt slow down too much when zoomed.

Compared to the kit lens -
it focuses louder but much more quickly, much sharper, in most situations gives better colors. A bit orangy/warm and vintage looking when the light is favoring those colors. Kit lens puts more emphasis on blues and bleaches near whites. To my eye, Minolta is more accurate and lush. But not always.

Bokeh smoother, kit lens performs almost noisy sometimes.

What struck me and i feel as important is the fact that it makes the camera give much more consistant results in terms of white balance, sharpness and even exposure.

Considering its age, and being a not so mint example, still performs incredible. Build quality - have no fear when buying.

To sum up, it really feels like an upgrade, without breaking the bank. Personally, for a beginner like me, some pics that are crap at least look like an eye candy when done with this lens :-) I'm hooked.