Minolta AF 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by chych

reviewer#2318 date: May-16-2007
compared to:KM 50/1.7, KM 70-210/4 beercan, KM 24-85/3.5-4.5, Sony 18-70/3.5-5.6, Tokina 80-400/4.5-5.6
positive:Extremely sharp at tele end, cheap, macro mode, good AF
negative:Close focus too far, not wide enough
comment:Picked this lens up for cheap as it had an oily aperture; fixed it promptly after, so I got a bargain on this. This lens produces very good images; sharpness and color are excellent. I am astounded at its sharpness wide open on the tele end, way sharper than my 24-85 wide open; similar to beercan performance on its short end. Though on the wide end it's average (worse than 24-85). On APS-C this lens isn't really wide enough for a walk around, so I use it mostly for short telephoto and some macro. Its macro functions is pretty good, quality is there.

I also hacked mine to get AF in macro mode (there's a forum thread that shows how), which works decently if you know how to control it. I do like it that macro mode gives you a bit of distance to work with, since its 105 mm. Weight doesn't bother me, it's nothing compared to my bigger lenses. The minimum focus distance hurts though, and along with 35mm on APS-C, I don't use this lens that much.