Minolta AF 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by Bodian

reviewer#45627 date: Dec-23-2020
compared to:Loads of Minoltas and Sony - kit to medium lens (no high end lenses). Especially 16-105
negative:Depends on the copy you get!
comment:I bought one of these ages ago and used it on my A580. It was okay, nothing special (I thought).

I sold it when I got a 16-105 for my A77ii. But after six months or so, I began to think my 16-105 was a bit 'soft' and looked at old photos taken with the 35-105. I thought 'why did I get rid of that?'. So I bought another one. This one is astonishingly good. Incredibly sharp, at all focal lengths, with super colours.

It had a slight scratch on the lens, so I bought a third, but it was faulty as it wouldn't go to infinity - but lower than infinity it was excellent. As the scratch wasn't actually visible (except for added flare - which this lens is pretty rubbish at dealing with anyway), I kept the second lens. It's now one of my most frequently used lenses.

I've just bought the SAL1650, and to be honest, I'm not sure which is 'better' or sharper.