Minolta AF 35-105mm F3.5-4.5 A-mount lens review by former member

reviewer#656 date: Apr-3-2006
compared to:Minolta 18-70DT, Minolta 28-75D f2.8, Minolta 28-105D 3.5-5.6, Minolta 50mm 1.7, Minolta 35-70 f4, Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4, Vivitar 28-105 f2.8-4, Ozunon 35-80 f3.5-4.5
positive:Solid metal build.
Sharpness is tremendous even wide open.
Good feel mounted on the 5d.
Color is very nice.
Price used is good.
Macro function is usable.
Uaseble indoors without flash on 5d.
negative:Nothing at all for the price but the weak spots as I see them is the front element turns when focusing and there are some wide angle distortions when straight lines are prominent.
No auto-focus when in macro mode.
Close focus distance not great without using macro mode.

comment:This lens is a good one. It's sharpness across the range for me has been tremendous. The lens is fast enough to use at indoor events on the 5D if some care is taken.

I really like this lens and I would say it is very tough to beat for the money. If you don't want to carry a super-zoom or drag around your heavy glass this lens will do some things for you.

Overall I rate this lens as an excellent choice for the money. The only reason I marked the build down was the design of the lens since it is not IF and the lens telescopes when zooming. I have not had many situations for flare so I am hoping my mark will stand on the flare control. I don't have the original hood at this time so I am using a collapsable rubber hood until I pick up an original. I have not had any major problem with flare up to this point.

This is a solid lens you can count on in many situations. It makes a good everyday lens or a very good backup to better glass. If you are using the 18-70 kit lens this should be an inexpensive treat for you especially if you don't need the wide. It is not built like a toy and will perform much better indoors in low light in most all applications. The sharpness is sweet, I just had to say that again.

If you purchase this lens for your collection you will not be sorry. If you purchase this lens to use you should be well pleased.