Minolta AF 35-70mm F4 A-mount lens review by fmajor

reviewer#4322 date: Nov-3-2008
compared to:Minolta Rokkor Lenses (many)
Minolta 50mm f1.7
Minolta 28-85mm f3.5-f4.5
Minolta 70-210mm f4 "Beercan"
price paid:$35
negative:Insufficiently wide
Limited Focal Range on APS-C
Small Manual Focus ring
Useless OEM Sunshade
comment:EDIT: 18Nov2008 I sold this lens three months ago. It is a very good lens, but due to the limitations i noted above and a desire for a higher quality walk-around lens i couldn't, in good conscience, keep it simply for the sake of having it. I'm confident the buyer will put it to better use than me and the lens will provide them excellent results.

INITIAL REVIEW:
This diminuitive lens was very nice to use - sharp enough, nice bokeh, and legendary "Minolta Colors". It was very easy to carry around and a nice compliment to the f4 70-210mm Minolta Original "Beercan". All things a lens is supposed to do this one did quite well.

However for me, the death-knell for this lens was its' very limited focal range - primarily due to an insufficient width on my 7D's APS-C sensor. Otherwise i may have kept it b/c it did perform quite well.

My copy was not any more or less sharp than my 28-85mm f3.5-4.5. So with the extra 7mm on the wide end and additional 15mm on the tele, the 28-85mm has remained my primary walk-around lens (for the time being).