Minolta AF 35mm F1.4 G RS A-mount lens review by H20boy

compared to:Sigma 30/1.4 DC
Minolta 28-70/2.8 G
Minolta 17-35/3.5 G
price paid:$1,200 USD used
positive:Love the minolta colors! Bokeh to die for
negative:Value... i'll explain below
comment:I just couldn't justify keeping this lens. Let me explain. It had nothing to do with IQ, at all. I found myself rarely using the f1.4-f2.8 range on this lens. I used it at a wedding, and only f3.2 and above. Even some 'creative' shots were only at f2, and those were few and far between. I suppose my shooting style just didn't warrant a lens of focal length and of this specialty. Compared to the other Minoltas, it had the same colors and sharpness. In order to keep a $1200 lens, I want to WANT to use it, and I just didn't have the desire to do so as much as I needed to justify keeping it. I did pick up a less expensive Sigma 30/1.4 to replace it, but the siggy didn't have near the contrast that the 35G had, but nice OOF areas which I am used to achieving. I am sure I will miss it someday.

Flare was given a 5, since it was never really 'tested' outdoors, except for onece, in which it was successful.

No distortion at all - perfect.

The build - good grief this is one mean metal lens. I had to remove it from checked luggage because I was over the max weight - it easily weighs 3lbs by itself! Lots of glass. I would literally break down in tears if I ever dropped this one. For some reason, I don't think it would survive even one strong drop to concrete. If i have time later, I'll do the mass x acceleration formula to give you the amount of force this baby would undergo.

MF ring is a joy to use compared to the first gen lenses. AF accuracy was always really fast, but sometimes off due to limited DOF that it can achieve.