Minolta AF 35mm F1.4 A-mount lens review by kevinbm

Minolta 50mm 1.7
price paid:L468 (used)
positive:- bokeh
- colours
- ability to use without flash
negative:- hood feels cheap
comment:Gave this lens a test run today using it for some candid portraits. The standout aspect was the quality of the bokeh - it has an almost etherial quality to it which is difficult to describe. The main subject though is terrificaly sharp and gives the whole shot an almost 3D quality.

The lens is very well built and of metal construction and this combined with the image qualiy shows why this lens is classified as a G. My only negative comment is that while the hood is of very good quality plastic it seems a bit cheap in compared to the rest of the construction (although here I could be spoiled by my Zeiss primes and their metal hoods).

I notice that this is the first A900/A850 review of this version of the lens. I had thought about getting a 35mm 1.4 for a while but had always been put off by the prices - this one was (in my opinion) a bargain and I would recommend it to any other A900/A850 as a classic must have lens.