Minolta AF 35mm F1.4 A-mount lens review by tko72

reviewer#720 date: Apr-26-2006
positive:Very fast and useful even at F1.4, good weight and size (55mm filter thread) for a G-series lens. Stop down to F2.8, and you have a perfect picture....
negative:Wide open and on a sunny day, it's hard to control the flare. Stop it down, as you should anyway. Focusing is a bit noisy and average in speed.
comment:I traded in my 28mm F2 lens for this one, and I regret it. Nothing against this lens, but I think the 28 is a slightly better lens (I guess it's my preference for 28mm versus 35mm, which is a subjective opinion). If you need the extra half stop, then go for it. It's a really expensive lens, but I got it used at a bargain, and the shop gave me a really good price on my 28mm F2 (now I know why!!). For shooting group shots, like weddings and family portraits, this lens is perfect, as there's no distortion, unlike the 28mm. Anyone needing a perfectly linear lens should buy this lens, if you can afford it. If not, buy the 35mm F2 and buy another lens..... or two.....