Minolta AF 35mm F2 A-mount lens review by armirail

- Sony 24-70mm Zeiss
- Sony 16-35mm Zeiss
- Sony 24mm Zeiss
price paid:$ 480
positive:- amazing sharpness, as good as or better than zeiss 24-70mm at same apertures
- no distortion visible
- great contrast
- super compact! tiny awesome lens
- hard stop infinity focus
negative:- flare around bright lights in the frame
comment:This high quality lens is tiny. So small but on par or better than the best glass for Sony A mount out there. Sharp from corner to corner even at f 2.8. This is just amazing. In my opinion, this is the best lens I have.

If I need the flexibility of a normal zoom ill use the 24-70mm Zeiss, which is equal in image quality (a bit softer in corners though and soooo much bigger and heavier). For wide I am also covered with above lenses. If I want to travel light, everyday use etc I just leave the Minolta 35mm f2 on the body as it is so small. Finally I can bring my A99 almost everywhere without compromising on the excellent image quality I have learned to appreciate from the zeiss zooms.

Buying this lens on ebay: I bought this lens from Japan and it was listed free of fungus, haze, etc. Upon close inspection with a LED flashlight through the lens a sort of haze and beginning fungus was discovered which was not visible just looking through the lens without LED light. I was lucky enough to have it cleaned cheaply and the seller agreed on a partial refund. He also offered full refund for return but I figured I did not want to wait months for this lens to show up on the bay reasonably priced in excellent condition again. If you find this lens on ebay, make sure the seller accepts returns and is eager to keep his ratings high.