Minolta AF 400mm F4.5 HS APO G A-mount lens review by Lars

reviewer#43011 date: Feb-11-2018
compared to:500/4 G SSM, 70-400 GII, 70-300 G, Minolta 200 f2,8 HS, Sigma 50-500
price paid:17000 NOK + VAT used
positive:Great Minolta glass. Sharp wide open. There is no other lens I shoot wide open as much as this. Great creamy bokeh. Great 3D pop. AF is exact and I have never needed to micro if adjust.
negative:AF needs attention and it tends to work hard, I have to use the in house focus range limiter. I can shoot BIF and it is kind of fun to make it work, but I can't recommend it to you. Lens hood is wobbly and you have to take care when mounting it. A little CA but I think of it as a modern lens in this respect. The 10 year older Minolta 200 f2,8 is bad.
I gave it 4 for build rating but it should have 3,5 because of the lens hood and lack of a modern focus range limiter. Does it have weather sealing? Probably not so much.
comment:A lens with personality I like to use, it delivers great results and 3D feel. This is the best lens for 'micro contrast' even on the a99II. Relatively easy to handhold, I don't use tripod.