Minolta AF 50mm F1.4 RS A-mount lens review by Kiklop

MInolta 28/2
positive:Light
Fast
AF performance
negative:Still getting used to APS-c coverage
Has lost something on digital
Original hood
comment:This is the lens I have mixed feelings about; 75mm on APS-C isn't something I'm used to and I often find this lens or too short or too long :(
The lens was unusable on my 7D until I had it adjusted for backfocus problems. Once my 7D was calibrated the lens is performing very well.
Full open the lens is a bit soft, but still pretty usable IMHO if the focus was spot on and taking into account shallow DOF. Sharpness is improving considerably when stopping down but; from my experiences the lens does not perform as one would expect for a premium 50mm prime; 100/2 for example does perform a much better even on digital as does the 35/2 or 28/2.
May be just subjective opinion but Canon 50/1.8 does better job in terms of resolution on digital.
Bokeh is good enough (not among the best I had the chance to see) and so are colors and contrast.
AF is fast and accurate (if on calibrated body).
The hood that came with the lens was short even for FF body.
But as a low light tool, there isn't any better in this range.
**Full frame**
A whole new story; performance is very good and hard to be beaten by any zoom. Primes are a requirement when it comes to FF and this lens is not an exception.