Minolta AF 50mm F1.4 RS A-mount lens review by bobfloyd

reviewer#2728 date: Sep-15-2007
compared to:28-75/2.8 (D)
17-35/2.8-4 (D)
70-210/4
price paid:260 USD (mint)
positive:Focus speed
Weight
Filter Size
negative:FOV on APSC camera
Color
comment:I really like this lens, I just have a tough time finding a use for it on my 7D. Like a previous reviewer I find that it seems either too long or too short for the task at hand more often than not.

It is light weight and the focus is quick and sure. In fact, this lens focuses faster than any other lens I own and performs great in the worst lighting conditions I try to work in. The fact that it is a 55mm filter size is a huge positive as it can share filters with all but two lenses in my collection. I also find it plenty sharp. I have read some reviewers complain that it goes a bit soft below f/2 but I have never found this to be so obvious as to be an issue as long as my focus is on the money.

The 75mm equivalent FOV on my APSC 7D is odd which goes back to my opening statement. This really isn't the fault of the lens though. I tend to use it like a poor man's 85/1.4 and crop the photos down. I rather like the results for the price while still recognizing that it is not the same class with the 85/1.4 in terms of dreamy, creamy bokeh.

What I am less pleased with is the color which seems a bit flat when compared to both my 28-75/2.8 and the 17-35/2.8-4. I expected better from a prime lens than I get from my zooms and while this color is not bad, it just does not seem as vivid in comparison.

All in all, a good lens for the price tag.