Minolta AF 50mm F1.4 RS A-mount lens review by Kakaku

positive:Creamy Bokeh
Sharp when in focus
Compact Size
negative:Major back focus on my A700 and A100
comment:I got this lense a while ago but never really cared for it since I had many mis-shots. Then I realized that it was being caused by major back focus on my A700 and A100. In auto-focus, I was getting close to 30cm back focus at 3~5 meters. Therefore the subject will be soft even when stepped down. Once I realized this I started using this lens in MF and can finally understand what all the fuss is about. Now the dillema is whether to keep this lens until I get a new camera with microadjustments or sell this and try my luck with a new Sony 50/1.4.

*Note the sharpness is 4 due to back focus. When it's in focus the lens is very sharp. (5)

UPDATE - I was wrong about this lens having backfocus issue. I realized that it's in fact the camera that's having a hard time finding the right focus in low light situations. And since I mainly use the 50/1.4 in these harsh lighting conditions, I had incorrectly associated the bad focus to the lens. I have corrected my sharpness rating to 5 accordingly.