Minolta AF 50mm F1.7 A-mount lens review by A68noob

+cheap
+the definition of MINOLTA COLOURS
+excellent metal build
+solid sharpness beyond F4
+lightweight, always in your bag
negative:- good amount of purple fringing
- sharpness below F4.. its just poor
- all the general vintage lens jazz: filter rotating, small MF ring, AF noise (i personally like it after all the usage now), dated coatings, hazy wide open.. nothing to really worry about considering price
comment:I am torn again. I bought a cheap Maxxum series lens after some horrible 2nd hand lenses.. and was instantly in love with it. Beautiful colours, the tiny size and the metal build really made me happy. It also started my love towards old Minolta gear.

By far the oldest I had at that time but the best one to work with. It simply delivered beautiful pictures with the most consistent AF i had at that time. My CZ16-80 and Tamron 18-270 both had AF issues and my Sony 35 1,8 was just some piece of plastic garbage. This lens was very refreshing.

BUT.. I sold my Maxxum and got a regular one again. It is even softer below F4 and I cant agree that this is an optimal lens for portrais. Too soft and i cant agree on the bokeh it provides.. i rather would use a beercan to shoot portraits with (i am dead serious).

Nonetheless i recommend this lens to a certain degree: Vintage flair, size, cheap price and its fun to use. Good for beginners too.
Not recommended for serious portraits. Dont pay more than 50€.
Disclaimer: Ratings are based on price/performance.

Pick a good location + the right daytime and step back to about 5m (APS-C) of the subject (most preferred a good looking girl), set F2,2 and enjoy the most dreamy picture you can think of. Legendary lens.