Minolta AF 50mm F2.8 Macro RS A-mount lens review by amarston22

Sony DT 18-55/3.5-5.6
Sigma DC 18-200/3.5-6.3 II HSM
Asahi Super Takumar 55/1.8
price paid:$150 used mint
positive:Sharp sharp sharp! Sharper wide open than my 50/1.4 at f/4, sharper at f/4 than any lens I own at any stop.
Good construction quality
Attractive looking lens
True 1:1 macro
Very capable as standard 50mm prime
Portraits on APS-C
Beautiful bokeh
Gorgeously round aperture
Relatively fast AF
AF is extremely accurate in normal use
Focus limiter
Focus hold button (no point on my a77ii, but a nice thought)
Design negates need for a hood in 98% of situations
negative:Lets see if I can think of something to complain about... hmm...
It isn't f/1.0
It isn't made of unobtainium or solid gold
It wasn't free
It doesn't have a silent AF drive (in fact it's rather noisy...)
AF is a little slow/hunts in the macro ranges, but I usually manual focus anyway
Colors are great but just a hair worse than my other Minoltas

comment:My first true macro lens, and it is quickly becoming my all around favorite prime because of the smooth bokeh, immaculate sharpness, excellent usability, relatively fast aperture, and macro capability. My dad (also a photography enthusiast) immediately commented on how nice looking it was, and said he thought I must have spent a lot of money on it.

The main thing I can comment on is the sharpness. As I said above, this this is sharp. By far the sharpest lens I own. And autofocus, at least on my copy, is dead on as far as I can tell.

One other thing, the larger rubber focus ring on the RS version is much nicer than the tiny plastic ring on the orignal.

All around, a fantastic piece of legacy glass that works very well on modern Alpha bodies. You can find them for anywhere between $100 and $160 these days, and for that price, I can highly recommend it!