Minolta AF 600mm F4 APO A-mount lens reviews

reviewer#30699 date: Oct-13-2016
compared to:Nothing I've ever experienced beyond a telescope‼️ 500 reflex, old 150-500 sigma, old 300 2.8 sigma, 400 HS,no comparison.
price paid:$2500
positive:OMG I sought this lens for many years, owning it, is wonderful.The is the pride and joy A mount tele club 2nd only to the HS model. Sharp,fast,Minolta Magic color & contrast, OMG‼️ Dollar/mm best deal out there.
negative:IT'S BIG‼️ Gotta take the good with the bad. Need light to auto focus, hunts(manual is best), awkward, heavy, need a good tripod & a gimble, makes life easier. Trunk is kinna useless because it will only close with lens naked.I fashioned a baseball bat bag with padding & I can carry the lens with camera & quick rail attached for quick set up & break down.Hood is funky, shoulder strap slots are an engineers dream.(just silly) Hood slides down on it's own. I applied some velcro to hold it retracted while securing the leather cap as well. IT'S REALLY BIG BEAST‼️
comment:Update: 2 yrs. Still my favorite birding lens, limited to stationary subjects. The Sigma 500 & Tamoron 150-500 G2 are considerations I’ve been visiting. I had a shot at a Sony 500 for $9K, kinna pricey for a retired guy on gov. a gov. pension. Also thinking mirrorless & adapting to other brands offering cheaper alternatives than Sony.
reviewer#11716 date: Mar-7-2014
compared to:Minolta 300mm f/2.8 APO HS (with 2X teleconverter)
positive:-Super Sharp
-Cheap compared to other brands
-Overall image quality is superb
negative:-Heavy
-Slow AF speed (specially for birding)
-High chromatic aberration
-Hard to get the old minolta 1.4x teleconverter that matches this lens
comment:Well , to be honest when I first purchased this lens I was so happy with it , the image quality is amazing and that was the most important thing I was looking for.
But after going out with this lens I discovered the the real negatives that made me disappointed.
This lens is heavy.. i mean a tank .. more than 7 Kg (15.5 lb) with the camera attached to it , you can't go hiking with this lens , well I did and will never do it again.
the other thing is the AF speed ,when you try the new Sony SSM lenses you will feel the huge difference , I hardly can get a photo of a flying bird ! or maybe I'm slow !
but overall .. this lens is attractive , so many photographers keep asking me about this lens , it's beautiful.
If you want to get this lens you should be aware of the AF speed , It's not that good for bird photography.
it will auto focus with the first edition Minolta 1.4X APO teleconverter (hard to get on ebay) will not reduce AF speed with this TC.
reviewer#9573 date: Nov-10-2011
Sigma 500mm f4.5,
Sigma 10-20mm F4 - 5.6
Sigma 105mm F2.8,
Sigma 85mm f1.4,
positive:Every thing about it!!
negative:None
comment:I really like this lens, it really turned out some great photos.
reviewer#8031 date: Sep-29-2010
compared to:Minolta 400mm F4.5, Canon 100-400mm. Sony 70-400mm, Minolta 300mm F4
positive:I've used this lens for a year and am delighted with the performance. It is the sharpest less I use and performs very well with the 1.4X Minolta teleconverter. Performance is very good with the Sigma 2X teleconverter. Yes it autofocuses with the Sigma 2X. It is rated sharper than the HS version possibly due to focusing errors with the HS version. Both this version and HS have identical optics. The focus limiter increases focus speed considerably.
negative:None, unless you think weight is a problem. I note it is the same weight as Nikon and Canon equivalents.
comment:The price was a bargain because the seller rated the lens as an 8.5 due to some surface scuffs although there were no paint chips except at the bottom of the mounting plate. With a little cleanup, removing scuffs and adding some touchup paint I now rate it a 9.8.
reviewer#4042 date: Sep-4-2008
positive:Extremely sharp
Fast focus speed
built tough
negative:HEAVY
comment:I have owned this lense for many years, and it is my favorite. I am a bird photographer, and this lense is the most important tool in my arsenal. It is fast, sharp, and a real joy to use. I just can't imagine being without it. So many of my very best shots are owned to this wonderful piece of glass. I just don't understand why Sony is not producing this lens for everyone else.
reviewer#3162 date: Jan-9-2008
compared to:Minolta 400/4.5 HS; Sigma 500/4.5 EX APO
price paid:4100 USD used
positive:Sharp, very good IQ
negative:Heavy, but no more than expected; don't like the hood.
comment:Had it a bout a month, still learning to control this beast. The lens hood is one of those sliding things, and it likes to slide whenever it feels like it; can be awkward. Definitely need a good tripod/head; I got the Jobu Design heavy gimabl head and it works well, but this lens has all the weight on the end, makes it difficult to balance. Works well with the Sony 1.4 TC as other have noted, but not with the 2X. It does AF with my Kenko 2X TC, but the AF is slow and the IQ suffers. The AF on my A700 is responsive, at least as fast as my 400/4.5. I doubt the HS version performs any better.
I've got a lot to learn about getting the best out of this lens, any vibration at all seems to show up in my images. If I'm set up on a deck at a bird viewing area and someone's walking around, I notice it; or if I'm next to a road and someone drives by. A real mirror lock up would be a big help.

Update: two people have sent me PMs about the hood; it is supposed to lock by rotating it. Mine locks in the "out" position but can't get it to lock "in". It's a used lens; that happens.
reviewer#2048 date: Mar-26-2007
compared to:200 2.8 APO
price paid:4500 CDN lightly u
positive:Very sharp, neutral colour, excellent for range from unusual closups to nature photography. Good with 1.4 converter, less sharp with 2x.
negative:Heavy, slow/non focussing with 2x.
comment:I really like the results I have gotten with this lens, when I have mustered the resolve to carry it. It has given me consistently good shots when used with proper support and technique.
I use a heavy Gitzo Studio tripod with an Arca-Swiss B2 ball head just for this lens. Also a Kirk support arm from the tripod leg to the camera body if needed.
This is a good lens for film, FF. It becomes a very long lens on the 7D.
I have the drop-in polarizing filter... actually talked the GM of Minolta into bringing one into Canada for me, as it wasn't listed here, and now I kind of wonder why. The light rays entering the 600 are so long with hardly any angle, that a polarizer has limited effect, I think. I thought it would reduce atmospheric effect, and maybe it will under certain conditions.
I like this lens for "close-up" (21 ft.) imaging at least as much as for its reach.
Results can be seen at my blog: http://web.mac.com/davidbannister
reviewer#705 date: Apr-21-2006
positive:Image quality
negative:Weight
comment:Just started using the lens. This is the older model and therefore the focusing is not lightning fast. Birds in flight will be a challenge. The sharpnes and colors are mognificent.
The lens is so big that I will have to change my technique. Stalking birds will have to be done in the car or I will have to create a blind.
I am still glad I acquired the lens and hope to enjoy many years of picture making with it.
reviewer#193 date: Nov-1-2005
positive:Awsome sharpness and color rendition
built like a rock
Ingineous hood
aim on top
Internal filter
negative:HEAVY
comment:This is a fantastic lens for nature photography. It is sharp and renders great colors even with a 1.4x or 2x. It has a handle on top that serves to aim the lens and greatly speeds up framing the subject. The hood slides in/out and locks in place. Internal filters are easy to change.
reviewer#39 date: Jan-7-2005
compared to:Nikon 600mm f4
Canon 600mm f4
positive:Spectaculat sharp lense. Focus range limiter. Manual focus ring cover. 90 degree marks on lens holder.
negative:HEAVY (13lbs). Does not autofocus with Maxxum 2x APO (but does with Tamron 2x). Polirizer costs a fortune.
comment:This lens is BIG and HEAVY. But it brings images that are crisp and clean.
Check here http://www.pbase.com/kleptolux/ for examples.
The lense comes in a metal case and a few drop in filters.