Minolta AF 70-210mm F4 (beercan) A-mount lens review by jacksprat

reviewer#11547 date: Dec-17-2013
compared to:sony 55-200
price paid:$112
positive:Build quality, metal throughout, feels like it would last forever, relatively quick to autofocus, colors very good, bokeh good
negative:heavy,purple fringing, loud focus
comment:Don't buy this lens for the optics, but rather for the feeling you get when holding and using this lens. It takes you back to a time (at least for me) when things were a lot simpler, were made to last and quality was an integral part of photo equipment. This lens is pleasurable to use and reminds me of my early days in photography when I began to 'see' things through the lens that were not visible otherwise.. The photos I've taken are not the sharpest but with every snap I'm rewarded with a glimpse of the past....
UPDATE :: Feb 2014
Sold the beercan after buying a Tamron 70-300 USD for a good price. Overall, the Tammy has better optics IMHO.
Could'nt justify keeping both lenses.
New owner seems very happy with the beercan...
Update :: May 2016
Sold the Tamron A005 (70-300 USD). The extra range is not worth the extra Weight and size. Lens just doesn't feel right in my hand and I can't ever see using it on a full frame camera (A7 series). Now looking for another beer can !
Update :: June 2016
Just bought another beer can for $60 which is in better condition than the first. Photos are pleasing and are 'good enough' . I'm keeping it (:>