Minolta AF 70-210mm F4 (beercan) A-mount lens review by danieljansson

constant aperture
bokeh
colors
negative:big
tiny focus ring that feels poorly placed
CA
comment:Gotta love the beercan. It was my first telezoom and it has served me well for half a year. Just sold it for Ł220! 100% profit. Eventually the size made me want to get another lens and I wanted more reach. I am waiting for my 100-400 APO to arrive next week (which I bought here).

The first thing that hit me when using this lens was its natural colors. They feel very real and alive. The bokeh is very very smooth. The constant aperture is a really nice thing that I will miss in the replacement lens. It is also very sharp, even at f/4.

Just as on the 50mm prime, the focus ring is very small. And because of the big size of the lens it is not very comfortable to focus manually with it. Nearly impossible with the hood on. It is very sensitive to purple fringing/CA I have noticed.

All in all a very nice lens that everyone should own at one point. I can understand why it is a classic. Much bang for the buck. But time to move on to APO land...