Minolta AF 70-210mm F4 (beercan) A-mount lens review by Yemble

Constant aperture
negative:Imprecise AF on A700
Weight
Purple fringing
comment:Given all of the hype, I must admit to being somewhat underwhelmed by my Beercan! I have tested back-to-back with my 100mm-400mm APO, expecting similar results over the 100-200mm range. However, in none of the flower shots that I took on a wet November day, did the Beercan produce a better result than the APO.

Using AF on the A700, the Beercan shots were all softer. Only when I switched to MF could I product a decently sharp photo, but even then, the APO still had it beat every time!

AF on the A700 is reasonably fast with the Beercan (if a little imprecise) and much faster than with the APO.

However, the main problem with the Beercan is purple fringing. It is there (and noticeable) on virtually every shot, whereas the APO never has any.

Maybe I have a duff copy, but it is clean, unmarked and appears to have had an easy life. There is a lot of evidence that this lens is generally better than I have found it, however, for me it remains a bit of a disappointment.

In hindsight maybe I should have spent my money elsewhere...