Minolta AF 70-210mm F4 (beercan) A-mount lens review by LECHER

reviewer#3807 date: Jul-5-2008
compared to:70-210mm f:4 Beercan
Sony 18-200mm
price paid:50.00 USD (used)
positive:Solid Build
Sharp Wide Open
Colors
negative:Focus ring turns filter
comment:Bought this lens in pieces. Pete Ganzel has once again made owning Minolta lenes a good thing. Was easy to reassemble and no parts missing. Glass is exceptional and the colors are of quality compared to Sony 18-200. Good balance on the A700 and actually much, much faster focus than on Max 7000. Flare is minor when shooting Sunrises on the Massachusetts coast and CA is negligable.

I can't believe that a lens as good as this has not been remade since the 90's. Sony would do well to re-introduce the same build in all their lenses. Alas, that will not happen until we get a large enuff group to complain about the cheap plastic that they are useing now.

This is my second Beercan, the first one was purchased new in 1990 and it is still in beautiful condition. I have compared the two of them side by side and can't tell the difference in quality. This makes me believe that I will always have at least one of them in my kit.