Minolta AF 70-210mm F4 (beercan) A-mount lens review by 66mikeg

AF 70-210 f4.5-f5.6
positive:Well built metal lens
Sharp optics
Smooth bokeh
Excellant mechanical operation including autofocus
Fixed zoom length and only extends about 1" focusing
Fantastic colour
negative:Heavy
Relatively long (Cap+Lens+camera = 10")
1980's coatings
Some flare and ghosting unless carefull
comment:I had the original MD 70-210 f4 used on a Minolta SRT101 (now that was a lens). I aquired a set of AF cameras 5000,7000 & 9000 and the AF version of the lens seemed a must, eventually I stupidly sold it. Still having a load of AF lenses after a year or two I got a couple of cheap Sony Alpha cameras to utilise them. recently I chanced my arm and bought a 'beercan' on ebay. What a result, as far as I can see it's virtually mint, with a metal lens hood clear lenses and not a scratch.
No CA to speak of and on an APS-C sensor it's virtually perfect from corner to corner (I never had a noticeable problem with distortion on the film cameras anyway). with a crop factor of 1.5 the effective range is about 105-315 this complements the 18-70 (27-105) kit lens with one on each body.
From some of the other reviews I think that there may be some variation in quality - after 30 years use that's no surprise.
For £70 this compares favourably with a lens costing 10x the price second hand, pixel peepers may well feel the extra cash is worthwhile but to my 14mp eyeballs this lens is pukkah.